Taking on an Allotment Plot:
You can contact as many of the Allotment Associations listed in the Table of Sites on the Sites page as you like and ask to join their waiting lists. Once you reach the top of their list they will let you know. They will invite you to come and look at what plots are available.
For all the Glasgow City Council sites you can also contact Sandy Paterson who is Glasgow City Council’s liaison officer for allotments. You can phone him on: 0141 287 4198 or e-mail him at: Alexander.Paterson@glasgow.gcsx.gov.uk. Alternatively his postal address is: Sandy Paterson, Natural Environment Officer, 4th Floor, Exchange House, 231 George St. Glasgow G1 2RX. Further information can be found on the GCC website
There is usually a small annual rent for having a plot which is paid either to Glasgow City Council via the Allotment Association for the particular site that you join or paid directly to the Allotment Association in the case of a privately owned site.
Each site will have a set of rules and regulations about keeping plots properly cultivated and being a member of the allotment community. You sign up to abide by these rules when you take on the rental of your plot.
If you want to visit the site first you may also be interested in attending the site’s Open Day (see Events page for dates)
Getting started on your plot
A few useful tips!
- Get some good gloves and some basic tools
- Look at other people’s plots.
- Make a plan for your plot.
- Clear the plot a bit at a time
- Get advice – talk to other plotholders about what to grow.
- Aim to do a little work on your plot regularly and often.
- Keep on top of the weeding.
- Give yourself several seasons to find out what works best for you.
- Defend your crops against pests (birds will strip cabbages and peas, slugs slaughter young plants).
- Take photos to remind you of your progress.
New Plotholder’s Awards
If you have made good progress during the first six to eighteen months of having your plot you can apply, through your association secretary, for a New Plotholder’s Award. These awards are presented annually by The Incorporation of Gardeners of Glasgow. You can find more details on the Awards page.