New Plotholder Awards
The New Plotholder Awards aims to encourage, recognise and reward those individuals who rise tothe challenge of a new plot.
New plot-holders come to a plot which may or may not be in good condition, with a variety of previous gardening experiences, skills and backgrounds.
Whatever the starting point, the enthusiasm, hard work and commitment demonstrated by a new plot holder is to be commended and encouraged.
Who can participate?
We didn’t run this award last year due to travel and restrictions on household mixing due to the pandemic, and therefore we will be running this award in two sets this year; one group to replace the award that didn’t run last year, and another for applicants this year.
- New Plotholder Award 2020: Applications for plotholders who would have entered last year, and who took on their plot after 1st January 2019
- New Plotholder Award 2021: Applications for plot holders entering this year, and who have been allocated their plot after 1st January 2020
You can enter on behalf of yourself, and you can also nominate another plotholder.
- 1st prize: £50 of gardening vouchers
- 2nd prize: £40 of gardening vouchers
Both prizes also include an official certificate from the Incorporation of Gardeners.
Two commendations of £20 are also awarded for the most significant progress in overcoming adversity in particularly challenging conditions.
Sun 15 Aug
Deadline for submissions
End of August
Site visits by judges
Thu 4 Nov
Presentation of awards at GAF AGM
Points are awarded in several categories:
- Overall growing plan
- Overall appearance
- Paths, hedges and boundaries
- Systems and methods
- Contribution to wider allotment community
For full details, see the application guidance below.
How to apply
Read the full application guidance, and send your proposal to the award coordinator via the contact details included.